Today, I’m happy to bring you Conscious Runner Eric Hunley.
This episode holds a special place in my heart because I’m coaching Eric. Eric is attempting a Boston Qualifier at the 2014 Outer Banks Marathon in November.
Eric blames the band Deep Purple for getting him started in running.
Here’s what he says:
“Deep Purple got me to run. John Lord died in 2012 and I decided to listen to an early track (I never really cared for the band and Smoke on the Water got on my nerves from overplaying).
I discovered Scandinavian Nights (Live in Stockholm 1970) and the song A Child In Time. It is a 20+ minute cut and the dynamics are incredible. Very passionate. I couldn’t just walk I was so hyped. I actually ran a few blocks. Then back to walking. I did this a couple times in the walk.
I then started to incorporate a bit more running into my walking with the idea of being able to do a mile, then two miles which was the requirement for the Army Physical Fitness Test.
After I was able to run over two miles without stopping, I thought that it would be amazing to run 5K. I did it and kept doing it over and over.”
In this episode you’ll learn:
- Getting started with running later in life
- How Eric went from running 2 miles to a marathon
- How the Band Deep Purple tricked him into running
- Holding yourself back when all you want to do is go
- The importance of easy and hard days
- How including strength training in his routine has changed him
- Running by feel
- Training with a heart rate monitor
- Taking necessary breaks for increased performance
- How to manage life and running
- Hampton Runner
If you enjoyed the show, be sure to subscribe here.