Hey Conscious Runners! Today, I’ve got another fantastic interview for you. I’ve got runner and co-creator of The Vitality Test and The Five Institute, Matthew Newnham. Matthew been running for over 40 years. He ran track and cross country up through college and then moved into road racing in the 80’s. Matthew kept running for pleasure until 2.5 years ago, when he got back into competitive training and racing with his local running club in Scotland. Since then he’s raced again on the track, cross country and occasionally on the road.
Matthew’s journey into consciousness started in general about the time he started running, but in earnest about 8 years ago. These days, he finds himself really drawn to Taoism, Chinese energetics and Qi Gong.
Matthew considers himself a born again miler winning silver in the Scottish Masters Championships this summer.
I completely enjoyed this soul centered interview and know you will too.
What we talk about
- Running to relieve stress
- Running as a constant companion
- Hard work, genetics and talent
- Being the best version of yourself
- Not comparing yourself to others
- Defining success as a runner
- Walking the line of separating your running from who you are as person
- The role gratitude, acceptance and forgiveness plays in running
- Consciousness, competition and injury prevention
- What it means to be a conscious runner
Links from the show
- Emile Zapotek (known for winning three gold medals at the 1952 Summer Olympics in Helsinki)
- Sebastian Coe (Known for winning four Olympic medals and setting eight outdoor and three indoor world records in middle-distance track events.)
- The Five Institute & The Vitality Test
Your Next Steps
- Give the show a review iTunes
- Join The Conscious Runner Academy for inspiration, motivation and good running conversation.
Until next time, run strong, run long and be happy.