Hey Conscious Runners, I’m so excited to be bringing you this episode today! This is really a special one to me. It was inspired by a conscious runner who has been diligently going through 45 Days to Building Your Strong Running Body-No Gym Required, a strength training and injury prevention course in The Conscious Runner membership Program. When he first started the program, he was sore, but after a few weeks, he got to the point he was no longer sore and wanted to increase the challenge of some of the exercises in the program. After I responded to him, I decided to ask this and other questions to friend and certified strength & conditioning specialist, James Mullins and record it.
Although James had participated in sports and athletics for most of my life, he was never 100% committed to fitness until my father died and I then really began to look at his health and how it was impacting his life. He was overweight, had high blood pressure, and was unhappy with how he looked and felt. At this point, he decided to start my transformation. For the past ten years, James has been focused on improving my personal fitness and gaining as much knowledge and information possible about training and conditioning. While trying to ensure he was getting the best information and training to help meet his fitness goals, he began the pursuit of becoming a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist. Becoming a fitness professional allows him to offer the knowledge and skills he’s attained to help others reach their fitness and conditioning goals. James prides myself by helping others take control of their lives both mentally and physically and has helped many people get up and running on the road to personal fitness. With his knowledge and experience, he can help you make healthy, realistic, sustainable lifestyle choices without the fads, quick fixes, and gimmicks – to help you improve your health now, and for the long-term.
I absolutely loved my rapid-fire, strength Q&A session with James and know you will too.
What We Talk About
- Why Strength train?
- What actually happens to your muscles?
- How often should you strength train?
- How do you know when it is time to add weight?
- Using only body weight, what are your favorite ways to increase the intensity of an exercise?
- How much do you increase weight by?
- Do the same principles regarding form without weight apply to weight?
- Should you be sore after ever session?
- What is the difference between strength training for running and strength training as a body builder?
- How long is a typical strength training cycle?
- Describe a cycle with recovery built in.
Links from the Show
- Semper Liberi Fitness (Jame’s Website)