Hey Conscious Runners! Hope you all are having a fantastic week. I’m so excited to bring this long awaited episode to you today. As you know, there is more to running than just running. We have to pay attention to the little things, such as following sound training principles, strength training, mobility, recover and yes, nutrition. well, today is all about nutrition. I’ve got Strength and Conditioning Specialist and weight loss and nutrition expert James Mullins on the line with me.
Although James had participated in sports and athletics for most of his life, he was never 100% committed to fitness until my father died and he then really began to look at his health and how it was impacting his life. He was overweight, had high blood pressure, and was unhappy with how he looked and felt. At this point, he decided to start my transformation. For the past ten years, James has been focused on improving his personal fitness and gaining as much knowledge and information possible about training, conditioning, weight loss and nutrition.
James prides himself by helping others take control of their lives both mentally and physically and has helped many people get up and running on the road to personal fitness. With his knowledge and experience, he can help you make healthy, realistic, sustainable lifestyle choices without the fads, quick fixes, and gimmicks – to help you improve your health now, and for the long-term.
I absolutely loved my rapid-fire, nutrition Q&A session with James and know you will too.
What We Talk About
- What is good nutrition
- Thoughts on diets such as South Beach and Atkins
- Best way to lose weight
- How much weight loss a week is healthy
- What is your metabolism
- Can you speed it up or slow it down
- What role does metabolism play in weight loss
- Talk about fat, carbs and protein
- What happens with too much/ too little fat
- What happens with too much/ too little protein
- What happens with too much/ too little carbs
- How differently should athletes eat than sedentary folks
- What are good foods for recovery/ reduce inflammation
- What are good foods before a long run
- How should your nutrition change as your running increases (caloric intake). Basically, how much more to eat to avoid fatigue, fuel your body properly and still lose weight.
- Impact on body of having too much low fat, good quality protein such as chicken breast per day
- What kind of variety should you have in your meals?
- Good guidelines to follow as runners
Links From the Show
- Semper Liberi Fitness (Jame’s Website)
Quotes by James Mullins
[Tweet “”Make it a life long thing.” ~James Mullins”]
Your Next Steps
- Head over to iTunes and give the show a review
- See if The Conscious Runner Coaching Program might be right for you
Until next time, run strong, run long and be happy.